Obviously love comes in many shapes, forms, styles etc. What I will attempt to discuss is romantic love.
The reason I am even bringing this topic up is because in conversations over the weekend, different scenarios were brought up. We discussed first, second and even third marriages, knowing that this is the ONE, and what makes it a good relationship for YOU. We are all very different to say the least.
So here is my list, and explanations, of the top three romantic relationship must haves:
- Friendship: I am not saying that you have to be friends before you start dating (although that helps)…BUT if you were not dating this person would you want to be their friend?? Because when the ooey gooey love/lust wears off, what you have left is a person you have to like, want to be around, and continue growing with. If this is questionable, my suggestion is…move on!
- Expectations: Your expectations have to be on the same page. Again, I am not saying to grill anyone to make sure you’re seeing eye to eye on the first date. However, as you have conversations, as you discuss goals and dreams…do they align? Heartbreak often happens when the expectations we set on someone else do not happen. But guess what, they have to set their own expectations. You set yours for yourself, and if YOUR expectations aren’t reaching their full potential or their expectations begin to go a different direction than your own, then…move on!
- Reality: Your romantic relationship cannot be based on a movie, a Disney story, or songs you hear on the radio. Of course we see the couples that seem to have everything: best dates, best proposals, sticky icky love etc. And that may or may not happen for you (if you want it). The key things to look for and have are: respect, honesty, and time. Whether someone is planning a huge surprise for you with gifts and balloons, and magicalness OR someone takes you on a hike with great conversation – both are utilizing the same principles, time. Point being, if you don’t have the story book events, but they give you time, respect and honesty, YOU are winning either way. And of course if you’re not getting any of those things…move on!
Of course there is much more to say, and much more to discuss, but I will leave you with those three thoughts. They are all my opinion and my mere suggestions. We all choose our own path. I myself have not had the easiest path to love, and I don’t have a sticky icky love oozing marriage. But we love each other, we respect each other, we give each other time, as well as, space, and are honest…always. I have had all kinds of romantic relationships in my past, but I find myself being the happiest knowing that no matter what, there is a person I count on to push me to success, to be there for me in his own special way lol!, and someone who will always be my best friend.
Happy love thoughts to you all 🙂
When I started this blog I promised myself to keep consistent. I guess life happens. Here is my attempt at a recap. I promise that I will not go this long without witty comments and interesting posts again…I hope.
This was a year full of family, weddings, new friends and new travel experiences. In 2014 I personally learned how to negotiate my wage, and keep growing in my career. The photo below is from a trip to Costa Rica, which was pure beauty!
In 2015 I took charge of my health! I ran my first half marathon and learned that anything is possible with hard work and perseverance. We say this when it comes to work, but it’s also true in our personal lives.
This year was truly magical!
1. I was accepted to and started my doctorate program at THE University of Southern California (USC) fight on!
2. I married my best friend and amazing life partner. Together we are growing an empire!
3. My running journey has continued and I completed my very first full marathon. It was hard, it was painful, and I didn’t not reach my time goal. However, that journey taught me that you never give up, you keep going even if you have to crawl. I am officially a marathoner and look forward to completing many more!
As a lot of you who have followed me on my running journey know one of my goals was to win the lotto and run the Nike Women’s Half Marathon in San Francisco this October 2015. As it turns I did not win the lottery.
Instead of waiting until next year I am taking the bull by it’s horns. I WILL be running the SFO Half Marathon as part of the Team in Training for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Pretty sure this was the path meant for me. I am grateful to be able to support an amazing cause, especially since I personally know people who this has effected.
To donate please use the link below. It would mean a great deal to me:
I am excited to use my new found love of running to make a difference. Please support me and my running journey and the BIGGER journey of supporting a life changing cause.
You may have seen the words in my title all over the news. Yes it’s a quote from Beyonce as part of the “Ban
I am definitely one of those bossy girls they are talking about. My parents raised me to stand up for myself and be a leader. I would come home and express how the girls in school are doing this and that and how it sucked that I couldn’t do it. My parents would just say, “do you want to do what everyone else is doing or be a leader?” You can guess what my conclusion was.
I don’t remember being called bossy as a kid, however I have seen it a lot in my career. At my last job I was the subject of complaints for being “bossy.” And yes that is the exact word the adults I worked with used. I do have to thank my ex-boss for letting my colleagues know that he rather have someone on the team be bossy and be less liked, than a bunch of people stumbling around and not being able to make a decision. I am still learning the balance between being a leader and being liked. I realize that those two things don’t always intersect, but I would like to think that anything is possible.
As far as the movement goes, I agree that we need to teach the young generation of girls to be leaders. We need to show them that it is OKAY to be confident, make decisions, and speak up.
I have pledged to Ban
Bossy. WIll you?
Top of the Rocky steps in Philadelphia….Like a BOSS!
So I have never done this, but since I am pretty new to blogging I have decided that I will explore all outlets. PLUS I love this topic, especially since I am a huge fan of the city where I grew up. Let the wordpress prompting begin! I currently live several miles away from West Los Angeles, however, I will be writing about that magical place because the memories that I have accumulated there are simply amazing.
What I love most about West Los Angeles…well that’s easy, it’s surrounded by greatness. To the west is Santa Monica and the Beach, to the South is Culver City and all of it’s culture, to the East is Downtown LA and all of it’s excitement of rebuilding and FOOD, and to the North is Beverly Hills/Brentwood/Bel Air and all of those fancy places. The city itself is a reminder of my years of growing up, from the malls, to the parks, to nights out on the town.
What I like the least is a bit tougher to find. I will use the best example I know…Parking! I guess that wasn’t so hard to come up with. The lack of parking can ruin any party. You learn to deal with it and of course the good outweighs the bad.
If I were a mayor…hmmm…good question. Well I would probably just have more community activities/festivals and ensure city beautification.
I thought I would give this whole blogging thing another try. I have had several blogs before including a personal blog, a career blog and a food blog…I love ALL of those things and decided I would combine them all into one. I am not the best writer, I don’t have the best grammar, however, I have a lot of opinions.
That being said…welcome to my insane brain full of wacky thoughts, crazy opinions, love of food, wine and crafts. My family and friends love me and that’s important. Of course I love them back and whole heartedly.
The title of my blog is Brain Teaser because I hope that I can make you think, decipher some of life’s puzzles, and have some fun.
Thank you and enjoy!